13 Tips for Overcoming Procrastination
posted on 18th Jun 2018
1. Start with the biggest and most important task first. Discipline yourself to begin immediately. Persist until the task is complete before you go on to something else.
2. Select the most important task.
3. What task is going to maximise reward and recognition or minimise the biggest future headache? The jobs that need to be completed first should jump out at you when you list them all down.
4. Begin immediately!
5. There is no time like the present. Front load the effort. Once you get started and persist momentum and enthusiasm will develop.
6. Single handle every task.
7. Avoid multitasking and distractions. Mute phone and email notifications. Put up the ‘do not disturb’ sign.
8. Finish what you start.
9. Don’t commence the next most important task before completing the first one. If you are waiting on feedback or input from others go as far as you can go.
10. Take it one step at a time.
11. Break every large project into stages. This will help with planning and keep on top of progress and time.
12. Guard and nurture your energy levels.
13. Sufficient sleep, good nutrition and hydration, exercise and minimising alcohol are keys to enhanced energy levels.
For further reading on overcoming your procrastination:
Rob Madigan FCA CTC BCOMM, Financial Controller
Rob, a chartered accountant, is the FC for Neworld, a creative branding & design agency based in Dublin with over 30 years’ experience developing brands to position them for future growth. He has worked with Neworld since September 2008 and guided the company through interesting waters. Rob admires greatly his colleagues’ creativity, energy, and enthusiasm for their work and is happy to be a little part of the show. He previously worked in accountancy with PWC and Madigan + Co and in hedge fund administration with Citco Fund Services Dublin.